1840 Penny Black
Discover the Iconic 1840 Penny Black Stamp
The 1840 Penny Black, a masterpiece of philatelic history, marks the world's first adhesive postage stamp. Designed by Rowland Hill, this groundbreaking creation revolutionized the postal system by introducing pre-paid postage. Featuring a classic black design with Queen Victoria's profile, the Penny Black is a symbol of innovation. Its introduction on May 6, 1840, transformed the way people sent and received mail, laying the foundation for modern postal services. Today, this legendary stamp stands as a treasured relic, a testament to the power of a small, but revolutionary, piece of paper. Explore its rich history and significance in our collection.
Albany Stamps' Quality Guarantee
All of our 1840 Penny Blacks are individually scanned so the item you choose is the one you actually receive. We endeavour to ensure the item you receive meets your expectations, leaving you 100% satisfied with the product and the service.
Please refer to the following grading acronyms in relation to this category.
- UM = Unmounted mint.
- FMM = Fine Mounted Mint.
- AMM = Average Mounted Mint, will have some defect.
- VFU = Very Fine Used, with a very light postmark.
- FU = Fine Used, with moderate postmark.
- GU = Good Used, with heavier postmark.
- AU = Average Used, slight defect such as pulled perfs or slight thin.
- SF = Stamp with faults, such as trimmed perfs, thinned, small tear.
Return to: All Categories